Chairman of the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC), Dr. Mohammed Bello Shehu, has clarified that there is currently no finalised recommendation or decision regarding the ceding or reallocation of any oil wells in the country.
He said the commission is still following due institutional processes and has not approved any transfer of oil assets to any state.
Shehu made the clarification amid reports allegedly issued by the Inter-Agency Committee on the Verification of Coordinates of Disputed Crude Oil and Gas Wells between States. The reports, which circulated in sections of the national media, claimed that recommendations had been made to cede certain oil wells to specific states.
However, the RMAFC chairman dismissed the claims, stating that the commission only recently received a draft report from the committee on Friday, February 13, 2026.
According to him, the draft document is currently undergoing review in line with established procedures.
“Consistent with established protocol, the draft document has been transmitted to relevant technical and statutory stakeholders, namely the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC), the National Boundary Commission (NBC), and the Office of the Surveyor General of the Federation (OSGOF), for detailed review, observations, and technical input,” Shehu said.
He stressed that the commission operates a clearly defined and transparent procedure in the discharge of assignments of national significance.
The clarification is expected to calm tensions surrounding the alleged reallocation of disputed crude oil and gas wells, as stakeholders await the outcome of the ongoing technical review.













